Image: A hug in a mug.
Autumn is here and with it comes a distinct chill in the air and a need for warm soup in our bellies. It just so happens I have the perfect thing – Autumn White Bean Stew, a twist on the traditional Tuscan White Bean Soup with the addition of potatoes, which go so lovingly well in this fragrant Italian-inspired dish. And besides, what better way to use The Best Sourdough in Sydney than to eat it with soup?
This recipe is vegan, but can be chopped and changed in any way. I think it’s always best to use recipes as a template anyway – so feel free to test it out and put your own slant on it. As long as you have the central pairing of rosemary and melt-in-your-mouth potatoes, you can add and subtract all the ingredients you like.
Autumn White Bean Soup | Serves: 4
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tins cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 small capsicum, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic dip (see note)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, fresh or dried
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 pinches chilli, ground or flakes
- 2 cups vege stock, hot
- A splash or two of white wine
- Salt and black pepper
- Soy cheese (optional)
- Lightly coat potatoes in 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Stir for 5 minutes, throwing in a splash of water to keep from sticking to the pot.
- Add onion, carrots, a pinch of salt and the remaining oil and stir for another 5.
- Add tomatoes, capsicum, garlic dip and herbs, stirring until the tomatoes reduce then splash in some wine.
- Stir through beans before adding the hot vegetable stock.
- Bring the pot to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes and carrots are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Serve with cracked pepper and soy cheese, to taste.
Note – For the garlic dip, look for something like Pilpel Garlic Dip or similar at the supermarket, or other garlic dips in delis and grocery stores. Adding garlic dip instead of straight-up garlic makes it just that little bit creamy. If you can’t source any though, just use 3-4 diced garlic cloves and add in with the onion and carrots.